It is always good to have more knowledge about the Operating system that we use on our computer. You might be using Windows Operating System for more than a year now. How much are you familiar with the different keyboard shortcuts that can be used as and when required? These keyboard shortcuts can save your invaluable time. Have you ever thought about this? Let me guide you through a few well known keyboard shortcuts for the same.
The shortcut keys listed below can be used on any computer with Windows OS installed on it. Opps! By the way, where is the winkey located on your keyboard?
Don't worry here is the snapshhot of the Windows Key or WINKEY if you are not familiar with it.
Lets start with the Shortcut Keys:
- WinKey - This ‘Windows Key’ alone will open Start Menu.
- WinKey + F1 - Takes you to the Microsoft Windows help and support center directly.
- WinKey + F3 - It opens the Advanced find window in Microsoft Outlook for you.
- WinKey + D - Brings the desktop to the top of all other windows.
- WinKey + M - One key to Minimize all open windows on your desktop.
- WinKey + Shift + M - To bring back the minimized windows done by WinKey + M and WinKey + D.
- WinKey + E - This provides you a quick access to Windows Explorer.
- WinKey + Tab - Allows you to move through the applications in your Taskbar.
- WinKey + F - Shortcut to the Windows Search/Find feature.
- WinKey + CTRL + F - Display the search for computers current window.
- WinKey + R - Shortcut to access the run command.
- WinKey + Break - Open the system properties dialogue box.
- WinKey + U - Shortcut to open the Utility Manager.
- WinKey + L - Lock the computer (Windows XP and above only).
By using these keyboard shortcuts you tend to use the mouse very little and this protects you from being a victim of RSI (Repetitive Stress Injury). RSI is a different topic altogether and will hopefully cover it in deep in forthcoming articles for you. These are a few steps to free yourself from the clutches of the mouse and to make optimum use of your keyboard.
You are welcome to post your comments for you valuable suggestions, feedback or ideas! Thanks.